It was still Thursday of this week when the site was last published. Maybe you want last week?
The London Bridge attack story has everything. Islamic terrorist! Effective gun control! Ineffective state surveillance! Rehabilitated murderer hero! Polish immigrant hero! Narwhal tusk!
Back in the last century I followed a few key people (by which I mean "white men”) closely as the web evolved into an app platform. I just thought to look them up to see where their attention is, today. Maybe I’d find some new inspiration?
- Tim Bray is politically active in admirable ways, and into software architecture that’s deeper than my interests.
- Philips Greenspun cares mostly about planes and thinks a little too highly of his own social perspective.
- Craig McClanahan is retired and offline.
- Jon Udell is making Hypothesis happen, which is awesome.
- Dave Winer is still fighting for feed syndication, bless him, and too caught up in the Trump flurry.
The UK government is fond of privatizing their duties and explicitly hands them to corporations.
In the US, the government prefers to do this through neglect.
Sarah Pitlyk may be a good match for the politics of her new post, but I’m struggling to see the fine line between her only-the-fertile-may-reproduce-and-they-must ideology and eugenics.